If you’ve over indulged this Christmas, you might be feeling worse for wear as January begins. After weeks of excess food and drink, getting back into a more healthy lifestyle can be difficult in the new year. Whilst you may be thinking about your waistline or the number on the scales, your teeth can often be neglected when you consider the effects of a big indulgence; follow our top tips to keep your oral health up to standard this 2015.
1. If you don’t already own one, now is the time to invest in an electric toothbrush. There is a fantastic range available and if you’re lucky, you may be able to get one in the winter sales!
2. Make sure you’re brushing your teeth right. If you neglected your brushing over the Christmas break, get back into a routine of twice a day, for two minutes.
3. Drink lots of water. Not only will this help you feel more healthy and alert going into the new year, but it will also wash away some of the sugar you may be ingesting. The fluoride which is present in tap water can also help protect your teeth.
4. If you’re still grazing on the Christmas leftovers, try to save the chocolates, puddings and sweets to mealtimes. Your mouth will already to producing saliva, which will help to neutralise acid.
5. Wait about half an hour to an hour before you brush your teeth after eating. Certain foods can have you rushing for your toothbrush but sugary snacks cause your tooth enamel to soften.
6. Book an appointment with your dentist. If you haven’t seen them for a while, now is the perfect time to get an oral health check. You can contact us on 0151 722 3000 for to book your next dental appointment with us today.