Christmas is the time for overindulging on just about all the food and drink you can get your hands on. And if you’re feeling ready for a more healthy approach this January, your teeth will certainly be able to feel the benefit too.
Your oral health can sometimes be forgotten when you’re enjoying all of the festive treats so follow our top tips to keep your teeth and gums in the best condition this 2016.
1. Invest in an electric toothbrush. There is a great range available and now is the perfect time to bag one in the winter sales.
2. Ensure you’re bushing your teeth correctly. That means twice a day, for two minutes with a fluoride toothpaste. Make sure you’re flossing and using mouthwash too!
3. Up your intake of water to at least 2 litres a day. You’ll feel the benefits in lots of ways including your skin and the fluoride in tap water will help to protect your teeth.
4. If you’re still grazing on the Christmas leftovers, try to save the chocolates, puddings and sweets to mealtimes. Your mouth will already to producing saliva, which will help to neutralise acid.
5. Wait about half an hour to an hour before you brush your teeth after eating. Certain foods can have you reaching for your toothbrush but sugary snacks cause your tooth enamel to soften.
6. Book an appointment with your dentist. If you haven’t seen them for a while, now is the perfect time to get an oral health check. You can contact us on 0151 722 3000 for to book your next dental appointment with us.